How Does Your Home Smell?
Every home has its own, unique smell. Some are pleasant and others are not. Some smells can overpower such as Plug-In, scented candles or sprays. What does your home smell like?
We all can become immune to the smell of our own home. If you are putting your home on the market to sell, it is time to do the Smell TEST! Yep, bring in an outside "sniffer" to give you the truth about how your home smells.
Did you know that potential buyers are not only "looking" at your home, they are taking in how it smells? I call this my "Smell Test". The smell of your home definitely sets the tone.
Here are a few good tips for your home passing the Smell TEST:
- Avoid overpowering scents such as those with synthetic perfumes. Not only are they overpowering, they can irritate those allergic and they are full of not so nice toxins. Yuck!
- YES, the litter box can be detected to even the most vigilant cat owner. Move it out into the garage during showings.
- If you have pets, their dander does create a pet smell. You may think your precious furry critter smells great but those smells permeate the carpets and upholstery. Freshen up before listing your home.
- Use an Essential Oil diffuser with air cleaning oils such as Purification. These diffusers can clean the air in the entire home and they smell great.
- If cooking things like bacon (and who doesn't love bacon?), fish or other strong-odored foods, try to avoid cooking them when you know you have a showing. Otherwise, the essential oil Purification can come to your rescue.
- Keep the dirty clothes under control. Those laundry baskets full of stinky clothes can really be nasty! Throw in a few cotton balls with your favorite essential oil to help keep the smell down.
- Children's rooms as we all know can have their own "flavor"! From the infants to the teenager, they can create odors that are not all that lovely! Again, diffuse oils in these spaces. Also, diaper pails need to be changed frequently.
- TRASH - yuck! We all know how gross the trash can is. Keep the cans clean and empty them often.
Evaluate the smells in your home today! Prior to listing your home, have an unbiased opinion to give you the skinny on how your home smells to others. A fresh home does make a huge difference when showing.