Preparing Your Home for the Photographs
We all know the importance of preparing a home to sell. Making sure everything is in top-notch condition and scrubbed clean are very important. There are however, a few more steps to take care of when getting your home ready for the photographer.
Pictures take on an entirely different angle than actually being there. It really is important to go room by room and evaluate what needs to be moved, de-cluttered or added. A little prep-work prior to the pictures being taken can and will make a big difference in the way your home is viewed via photographs.
These TOP TEN TIPS will assist you in getting the very
best home photography shots:
- Turn ON EVERY light! The more lights the better. For the night shots, do the same thing.
- Look at your windows. Are the shutters all opened and even? Do you need to raise the blinds? Are the cords visible?
- In each room, remove the everyday items such as pencil cups, excessive decorations, shampoo bottles in the shower, toiletries on the counters, and basic clutter. Did I mention clutter? Yes, please de-clutter every room.
- Remove any furniture or items that might detract from the pictures. Just take it out for the shot and then move it back in afterward.
- Remove bath towels & other clothing hanging on a hook or on the shower.
- Keep decor as simple as possible. Over-decorating can really detract from the effectiveness of the pictures which are meant to feature the home.
- Clean up the exterior of your home by putting away garden hoses, old pots, tools, toys, pet cages, etc.
- Fresh flowers and mulch always make for great pictures.
- Try to avoid having pictures made with seasonal decorations. This will ensure that your pictures look great no matter what time of year it is.
- Hide every electric cord that you can. This might involved simply taping them to the bottom of a table. Pictures look so much nicer without the distraction of cords.
Remember, simply going room by room with a keen, critical eye is best. Sit down with the latest issue of a home magazine and pay attention to the details in the photograph. What appeals to you?
As the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words." is very true. In this digital age, great home pictures are a must. As your potential buyer is searching the Internet, making sure your pictures pop and grab their attention will make a difference.
Preparing your home for the photographer is as important as preparing your home to list. A little work early on will help your pictures show your home in the very best way possible. Good luck as you prepare to sell your home.
CHEVAUX Group, PLLC is always ready to help you with your next real estate transaction. Give us a call today. We love what we do.